Your Place (YP) is a tuition-free four-week training program for women aged 18+ who are interested in entering the trades. The program equips students with the knowledge and skills they’ll need to obtain entry-level employment in the trades.
Who Created This Program?
YP was developed by an organization called Women Building Futures (WBF). Their programs have helped women enter the construction and maintenance industries for over 20 years.
Where Can Graduates Work?
The program is currently offered by LNG Canada and its prime contractor JGC Fluor. Upon successful completion of the program students are eligible to apply to work for JGC Fluor or its subcontractors on the LNG Canada Project.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for the Your Place Program each student must meet the following criteria:
- Aged 18+ female (or identifies as such)
- A legal resident of British Columbia and is able to legally work in Canada
- Has successfully completed grade 10 (or Canadian equivalent)
- Is able to attend a four-week training program in Kitimat/Terrace, British Columbia and work on a fly-in/fly-out shift rotation
- Is willing and able to complete a drug and alcohol screening
- Applicants must be fully vaccinated in compliance with the LNG Canada project’s vaccination policy
Training Students Will Receive
YP course work includes training in: safety, equipment, best practices, math review, plus drawing and blueprints. Here are more details about course content:
- Essential safety awareness and certifications (Fall Protection, Confined Space, Aerial Boom Lift, Rough Terrain Forklift, CSTS 2020 & WHMIS)
- Introductory hands-on training for an entry-level position on the LNG Canada Project
- Best practices for working in construction and how to prepare for success in the trades
- Healthy Choices for Productive Work: preparation for physically demanding work in the construction industry
- Essential math review and support
- Drawing and blueprint basics
- Receive continued support after graduating to help navigate your apprenticeship journey
Your Place is a good fit for motivated, hard working women who are ready to acquire skills and enter the workforce in the skilled trades.
Reserve Your Spot in the Your Place Program
The trades always need more skilled workers, and this program can help you become one. YP can help give you training that helps you stand out from other job applicants. Apply for the program or learn more about Your Place today.